Special Deliveries

It's safe to say we've been having a tough winter so far. I think my recent posts probably demonstrate how I feel about the barrage of illness we have been battling through, particularly the children. Last weekend I hit a real low, screaming inwardly and maybe once or twice outwardly too. It has been hard enough dealing with my constant pain and a new baby but honestly, the boomerang viruses that come back with a vengeance just as you think they might be easing up and the multiple infections have a way of truly wearing you down. 

In the latter part of last weekend I spent a bit of time just crying out to God and telling Him I needed Him to lift my eyes above all the struggles. I needed reminding that He was bigger than all this and that we weren't alone in it. That night, Reuben took a turn for the worse and became much more unwell than any time in the previous two weeks of illness. His temperature soared, his chest crackled and his breathing was clearly much more difficult. He has bronchiolitis. You'd think that, given my already fragile mental state at that point, this would have been it. It wasn't, thanks to God. I really believe that as I poured out my messy feelings and my whinging and my genuine need for strength from Him, Jesus poured out His peace. There's no explanation that makes more sense to me. Things got worse but I had peace. I was gutted, of course, and so sad for my baby, but I wasn't distressed in quite the way I had been last weekend. It is hard to explain, but that's probably because the peace that God gives is a peace which "surpasses all understanding."

But Jesus, being who He is, didn't just sort me out with a dose of peace; He went even further and gave me more than I could ask or imagine. This week we have been showered with blessings. Such encouragement in each of the past three days, it is overwhelming. I love how God knows our frame and that so often He uses His people to be that big hug that we need.

First of all on Tuesday a parcel from my Mum arrived containing what can only be described as a chocolate bar from heaven! She had been to Costa the previous day and seen this giant chocolate finger and thought of me, her chocoholic daughter. She isn't a fan of chocolate, it actually has been known to make her heave, so buying it and wrapping it to post to me was sacrificial love ;) And it absolutely made my day. 


Everyone needs to go to costa and have one of these, they are delicious! A bit truffly, a bit caramel, a bit biscuity; just divine. And the fact it was sent purely to cheer me up was the icing on the...well, the biscuit! Safe to say it worked!* 


The next day, as Reuben continued to struggle and cough and splutter, and some other unrelated challenges arose within the house, I was battling to keep on top of it all and the door went. The postman was holding a pretty large parcel and I hadn't ordered anything online so I wasn't even sure it could be for us. But it was. And oh my goodness, I did not know what to do with myself.


A truly wonderful friend from my university days, who I've not seen in almost 3 years, had heard (possibly via this blog in fact?) that we were having a rough time and the card attached to the parcel simply said she thought we needed a "box of sunshine". 


She wasn't kidding. Honestly, I still don't really have words even now. The thought and care and creative thinking that had gone into this parcel, let alone the generosity in buying it all, was amazing. Sunny, happy, (often tasty) treats and loveliness for all the family. There were chocolate bars, sweets, fruit, tea, jingle bells, toys, activities, even yellow play dough, clothing and more... Just a box of love, which honestly seemed to radiate light and sunshine into the room as it sat there open on the floor.


I was overwhelmed and felt like we don't deserve this! Well, we don't. I am so very grateful. It was another part of God almost saying, "See. It's not all bad is it!" To me, it was grace.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, yesterday another dear friend who we've barely seen all year and who lives almost an hour away had organised a surprise supermarket delivery to arrive. I was fit to burst, honestly, just with the generosity yet again. This friend had chosen things that mean we don't need to cook for two days now and can really rest and try to get us all recovered this weekend. Not only that, she had put gorgeous treats in: there were ready meals, delicious desserts, smoothies, luxurious festive food and a baby toy, to name but a few things. In the need to unpack and refrigerate, I didn't take a picture (I know, I know, check my temperature, I must be ill!) but I don't need a photo to remember the face of the supermarket delivery lady when I told her this was a gift order. She needed me to explain it to her more than once that I didn't know what I was unpacking and that my delight as I did so wasn't just down to a short memory and forgetting what I had ordered! I told her that it was a Christian friend who had done it, and why, and she was amazed. So she should be; I was pretty overwhelmed myself!

And it's not as if these deliveries are the first time we've been blessed in this way. In the last couple of months, three different friends have lovingly rocked up on the doorstep with a meal or a takeaway for us, just when we were really struggling - usually with illness but also just with pain. 

We are so blessed and I need to always remember that. Life gets hard, yes, and things are thrown at every one of us but my goodness we are not alone. 

This week, as I said, not only has God given me the strength and resilience I needed (and didn't have naturally, that's for sure), but He's blessed me hugely each day through these people who cared and did what they did. Knowing someone has thought about you and thought about what would bless you is sometimes all it takes to turn a terrible week right around into a week marked with the fingerprint of God. He is a relational God and I see Him use the people He made in His image to be His hands, feet and hugs on this earth! This week in the midst of the tough stuff, I feel like He has hugged me over and over again through the actions and love of His people: my family and friends. I am beyond grateful and words don't cover it.

I feel like I don't deserve such generosity and care, there are people going through so much worse. But I am truly thankful and don't take any of it for granted. Thank you so much if you're reading, whether this week's lovely people or those from recent weeks and months; you know who you are. You are a blessing.

*Even as I was typing this, I had a phone call from the aforementioned mother, saying that she has acquired two more chocolate fingers and they will be in the post today. Now I'm just spoilt!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.