My heart tonight

In just under four months of living here, we've been on a steep learning curve in terms of the lives and struggles of asylum seekers and refugees on our doorsteps. We have formed genuine friendships with people from various nations, in an insanely short time, sometimes even without shared language between us. I had no idea the level of hardship and the utter lack of humanity with which these precious human beings are treated here. Some of our new - and already very dear - friends have experienced unspeakable horror, the likes of which we cannot even comprehend. They are incredible survivors and yet this country treats them like little more than animals.

Sure, we can pat ourselves on the back for having a system and we can spout nonsense about how this country can't possibly take any more. That's all easy to say when you're talking in numbers, not human hearts.

It has become even harder than ever since moving here, to stomach hearing people say how "they come over here and just get given everything". I can honestly say that is the furthest thing from the truth, at least with the individuals, families and situations we have come across so far. I want to march people of that misinformed opinion round to meet our wonderful new friends, let them have just half an hour in their company and see the way they're expected to live, then ask them if we give them too much.

I was so frightened before we moved that I wouldn't know how to handle these situations and the heartaches; I still don't know from day to day but what I do know is that my fear of being uncomfortable or of awkward silences is far outweighed by their need for friendship.

When we prayed that God would break our hearts for what breaks His, I knew He would answer and I never expected it to be comfortable; I still pray just that but I also pray for resilience so that we can love love love and then love some more. Please pray the same - for us and the lush people in our little church family over here. 🙏🏽💞

I am fairly sure that they, and numerous others of my Facebook friends living or working in a similar area, would echo a lot of what I've said - but more eloquently! 🙈

P.S. I also have an even greater appreciation for emojis, it's amazing how much can be communicated through them across the language barriers 👌🏽😂

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.